The trend among most coffee cooks is to use the most basic coffees (or coffee flavorings) to achieve the desired effect. Personally, we’re firm believers in quality coffees for quality results.
Of course, some would say that to use the best Kona coffee Hawaii produces in a conventional recipe would be sacrilegious. That the only way to enjoy the best Kona coffee is to drink it...end of debate.
Understandable, but the simple fact of the matter is that if you love Hawaiian coffee, you’ll love it in all its forms. The same being true for all gourmet coffees, which can bring so much more to your favorite recipes than the usual generic jar.
And what better way to enjoy your favorite coffee than with a sumptuous dollop of the most delicious coffee mousse imaginable?
What’s great about this particular recipe is how there is plenty of scope for experimentation. Personally, we recommend using the best Kona coffee beans (or the nearest available equivalent) to give it an ultra-premium edge. The recipe works just fine with generic coffee, but there’s something about the flavor profile of Hawaiian coffee that really brings it together.
We’ll leave that for you to decide - here’s a rundown of everything you will need to put this perfect pudding together:
- 4 large eggs separated
- 150g (5.3 oz) of golden caster sugar
- 4 gelatin leaves, soaked
- 2 tbsp strong cooled espresso coffee of the highest quality
- 3 tbsp of coffee liqueur
- 110ml (3.7 fl oz) of hot water
- 220ml (7.4 fl oz) of whipped cream
- 6 tbsp of double cream
- chocolate sprinkles
As for putting it all together, it really couldn’t be easier:
- Combine the sugar with the egg yolks and whisk vigorously until creamy and light. Take a separate bowl and whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Take the gelatin leaves out of the water and give them a squeeze, before placing them in a bowl with the hot water, the coffee liqueur and the espresso coffee. Give the whole thing a good stir and continue stirring until the gelatin dissolves.
- Carefully mix the egg yolks with the coffee mixture, before gently folding in the egg whites and the whipped cream. Combine everything as gently as possible to avoid removing too much air from the mixture.
- Divide the mousse into your preferred glasses or bowls, before placing in the fridge and leaving for at least 60 minutes to set.
- Take the portions of mousse out of the fridge, place a dollop of double cream on top and finish with a liberal dose of your favorite sprinkles.
Of course, the coffee liqueur is strictly optional, and can be excluded to make a non-alcoholic version.
Great for preparing in advance, the finished mousse can be stored covered in a fridge for a good 2 to 3 days. It can also be transformed into an extraordinarily decadent coffee ice cream, simply by freezing and allowing to thaw to the desired consistency.
You can now order freshly roasted specialty coffee, like the delicious Kona coffee from Hayman’s online store. They are available in different size options, from a 100g (3.5oz) to a 680g (24oz) box. You can also choose different formats, including green coffee beans, roasted whole bean coffee, best ground coffee, coffee capsules compatible with Nespresso machines*, and coffee pods compatible with Keurig K Cup coffee maker** – click here to order now, we offer free worldwide shipping!
* Nespresso® is a registered trademark of Société des Produits Nestlé S.A., unrelated to Hayman ®. Our espresso pods are not created or sold by Nespresso®.
** Keurig and K-Cup are registered trademarks of Keurig Green Mountain, Inc. unrelated to Hayman®. Our pods are not created or sold by Keurig®