For some, that irresistible cup of filter coffee represents the ultimate double-edged sword. On one hand, you can’t imagine getting through the average working day without several cups of quality pour over coffee. However, you’re beginning to suspect that the coffee you consume is having an effect on your sleeping patterns.
It’s a cycle that’s surprisingly easy to fall into. You drink a ton of filter coffee during the day, you struggle to sleep, you wake up feeling exhausted and you drink another ton of coffee to keep going. If all this sounds familiar, you’re certainly not in the minority.
Healthy Daily Fuel
The thing is, extensive scientific research has brought to light a series of remarkable health benefits associated with coffee. From cancer prevention to stronger natural defences to generally living a long the life, there are plenty of good reasons to reach for another cup of pour over coffee.
However, the kind of coffee consumption that affects your sleeping patterns isn’t a good thing. Some people are naturally more sensitive to the effects of caffeine than others, just as some people can fall asleep pretty much on command.
In any case, there’s plenty you can do to continue enjoying a good cup of filter coffee, without facing issues in the bedroom. If you believe your pour over coffee addiction is having such an effect, consider one of the following:
- Avoid drinking coffee after 2:00 PM. As far as doctors are concerned, this is the cut-off point you should be looking at, to ensure that at least most of the caffeine is out of your system by bedtime.
- That said, this doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good idea to drink your quota of 10 cups of filter coffee before 2:00 PM. For the most part, experts recommend limiting caffeine intake to a maximum of 400 mg per day, which equates to around four or five. Less for those who are more sensitive to caffeine than others.
- It’s also worth remembering that decaffeinated coffee has come a long way over recent years. Some of the best decaffeinated coffee from artisan produces has the kind of richness and depth you’d traditionally have only associated with a premium caffeinated coffee.
- You may wish to consider downgrading to a slightly smaller cup, if your current coffee mug is a similar size to a bucket. Again, it’s all about sensible moderation.
- Last but not least, you’ll want to ensure you stay well hydrated at all times. Ensuring never get too thirsty will help curb your coffee cravings, while keeping your body hydrated will help it deal with the caffeine you intake much more efficiently.
Coffee is a truly remarkable product, but should also be approached with care by those who suffer with sleep problems. If you’re in any way concerned about your sleeping patterns, book an appointment with your doctor to discuss the matter on a professional level.
At Hayman’s online coffee store, you will find the best coffee beans in the world, including the legendary Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee, best Kona coffee Hawaii, and Panama Geisha coffee beans (a.k.a. Gesha coffee). These spectacular gourmet coffees are perfect for the pour over coffee brewing method. Click here to order today, we ship worldwide!