Hayman Coffee

3 Things You Didn’t Know About Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee!

blue mountain coffee, jamaican blue mountain coffee, jamaican coffee, gourmet coffee, arabica coffee

If you know anything about coffee, you’ll have come across Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee at least once or twice. Even if you’re yet to try it yourself, you’re probably aware of its existence of this famous Jamaican coffee. Not to mention, the fact that it commands a pretty hefty price tag.

Just as some coffees are overpriced simply for the sake of it, others are worth every penny and more. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee serving as a prime example of a coffee in the latter bracket, having grown to become one of the most sought after and prestigious commodities of its kind. Along with its extraordinary quality and unique flavour profile, Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee is both prized and exclusive due to the fact that there simply isn’t a great deal of the stuff available in the first place.

Grown in a mountainous region between Kingston to the south and Port Antonio to the north, Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee demands very specific growing conditions that are unique to this region alone. Rich soil with excellent drainage, consistent temperatures, humidity and so on – nature pulls off an impressive balancing act to make this connoisseurs’ gourmet coffee a reality.

So in celebration of this revered and increasingly sought after arabica coffee bean, we thought we’d share with you a few (perhaps) interesting facts you might not be aware of. Whether looking to try Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee for the first time or already a seasoned supporter, here are three facts to chew on next time you sit down to enjoy a cup:

  • The Liqueur Connection

First up, you’d probably agree that doing anything other than enjoying Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee in its purest form would be sacrilege. This certainly isn’t the kind of coffee that’s recommended for general cooking purposes, or creating concoctions other than superior coffee. Nevertheless, Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee is so revered for its unique and outstanding flavour that these incredible Jamaican coffee beans are used as the base of Tia Maria coffee liqueur.

  • The Coffee Industry Regulation Act

Next up, the Coffee Industry Regulation Act is extremely specific with regard to which Jamaican coffee can and cannot carry the official Blue Mountain coffee label. In fact, unless the Jamaican coffee has been harvested from the parishes of Saint Andrew, Saint Thomas, Portland and Saint Mary, it cannot legally be labelled or sold as Blue Mountain coffee. As such, it’s always worth checking out exactly where the Jamaican coffee you purchase was picked and processed, in order to ensure it is indeed the real Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.

  • An Asian Obsession

Last but not least, it’s not as if there’s a huge amount of Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee doing the rounds in the first place. Nevertheless, the fact that certain markets scoop up the vast majority of the annual production tally makes it even more difficult to get hold of. Believe it or not, more than 80% of all Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee produced every year goes straight to Japan leaving the rest of the world with no more than 20% to fight over! Hence the reason why regardless of where you shop for it, you won’t find Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee for anything less than a premium price!

To order you Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee, fully certified by the Coffee Industry Board of Jamaica, click here to visit Hayman’s online speciality coffee store. You can purchase this amazing coffee as unroasted coffee beans / raw coffee beans (for home roasting), roasted whole bean coffee, ground coffee, Nespresso compatible capsules *, and coffee pods compatible with Keurig K Cup coffee makers (incl. Keurig 2.0 models)** - order now!

 

* Nespresso® is a registered trademark of Société des Produits Nestlé S.A., unrelated to Hayman®. Our espresso pods are not created or sold by Nespresso®.

** Keurig and K-Cup are registered trademarks of Keurig Green Mountain, Inc. unrelated to Hayman®. Our pods are not created or sold by Keurig®.