Rounding off our trio of tempting coffee recipes from some of the UK’s best chefs, we thought it only right to include a coffee cake in the mix.
This chocolate, almond and coffee cake by Ben Tish is very much a welcome twist on the norm - a flourless cake that really could not be easier to put together.
As always, we recommend fresh brewing the coffee included in the recipe, using the best coffee beans in the world to come up with something truly sensational. There’s also the option of baking this cake with 100g of used coffee grounds, if looking to ensure none of your favorite coffee goes to waste.
Here’s what’s needed to make this truly decadent dessert:
- 175g of blanched almonds
- 350g of dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
- 250g of caster sugar
- 225g of unsalted butter
- 5 eggs, separated
- 175g of ground almonds
- 100g of used coffee grounds, or 100ml espresso coffee
- 100ml of grape must
- 100g of crème fraîche, or mascarpone, yoghurt or ice cream, to serve
- Start out by preheating the oven to 150°C, and greasing a 20cm lined cake tin.
- Place the chocolate and the whole almonds in a food processor and blend until the mixture reaches the consistency of a paste.
- Use an electric whisk or a stand mixer to cream together the sugar and the butter, before adding the egg yolks one at a time while whisking at a slower speed.
- Beat the coffee, the ground almonds and the chocolate/almond paste into the mixture, and continue mixing until everything is fully combined.
- Take a separate bowl and whisk the egg whites vigorously until fairly firm peaks begin to form.
- Put around 25% of the beaten egg whites into the bowl with the chocolate and coffee mix, folding in gently.
- Then, take the coffee/chocolate mix and pour the whole thing into the bowl with the rest of the egg whites. Fold together gently until combined.
- Place the mixture in the cake tin before baking in the center of the oven for around 45 minutes.
- Check after around 40 minutes with a cocktail stick if it is fully cooked, allowing extra time if the inside of the cake is still moist.
- Remove the cake from the oven, allow to cool and serve with your choice of ice cream, crème fraiche or mascarpone.
Simple yet sublime - 10 steps to transforming the best coffee beans in the world (or even some leftover coffee grounds) into something truly sensational.
Cooking with coffee can be an absolute joy - particularly when you let your imagination run wild!
To order the best coffee in the world, visit Hayman’s online store. We bring you coffee legends like the best Kona coffee Hawaii, Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee and Panama Geisha coffee - click here to order today, we offer free worldwide shipping!