Continuing our mini-series on cooking with the best coffee beans in the world, we’ll today be looking at a classic Tiramisu by Paul Ainsworth.
The key to cooking with coffee really is no different to brewing up a cup of coffee the right way. You start out with the best coffee beans, ensure they are as fresh as possible and treat them with care.
Where a recipe calls for a spoon of instant coffee, simply swapping it out for a shot of high-quality espresso coffee can make all the difference. But if really looking to put on a spread to remember, bring the best coffee beans in the world into your cooking.
Far from a waste, this is one of the best ways of making good use of any ‘surplus’ coffee beans you have lying around. Certainly better than allowing the best coffee beans in the world to deteriorate and lose their luster.
Without further ado, here’s a brief overview of how Paul Ainsworth puts together a classic Tiramisu, which is probably a lot easier than you might expect:
For the Cream
- 250ml of strong coffee
- 50g of icing sugar
- 265g of mascarpone
- 50ml of Tia Maria
- 480ml of double cream
For the Sponge
- 150g of sponge fingers
- 35ml of Amaretto
- 35ml of Tia Maria
- 150ml of espresso coffee
For the Garnish
- 100g of dark chocolate, grated
- 50g of cocoa powder
- The first step is to concentrate the coffee mixture you’ve made, by taking 250 ml of freshly brewed strong coffee and simmering it in a pan. Continue simmering it until it has reduced to around 25 ml, before allowing plenty of time to cool.
- Take a mixing bowl and combine the mascarpone with the coffee reduction, the icing sugar and the Tia Maria.
- Using a separate bowl, whisk the double cream until it becomes firm and forms soft peaks.
- Very gently fold the mixture in with the coffee mixture, ensuring the coffee mixture is not so hot that the mixture splits.
- Cover and place in the fridge for the time being.
- Break up the sponge fingers and lay them out on a tray, before drizzling over the Amaretto, espresso coffee and Tia Maria. Allow to soak for up to an hour.
- To put the dessert together, place a layer of sponge fingers at the bottom of your preferred serving dish, followed by a sprinkling of grated chocolate and a generous serving of the cream mixture.
- Repeat with another sprinkling of grated chocolate, followed by a layer of cream, more grated chocolate, and another layer of sponge fingers.
- Finish with one final layer of cream, along with plenty of grated chocolate and a dusting of cocoa powder.
- Serve immediately, or set aside in the fridge until needed.
Along with being a real showstopper, the beauty of this thing is that it can be quickly and easily thrown together in advance for total convenience!
To order the best coffee in the world, visit Hayman’s online store. We bring you coffee legends like the best Kona coffee Hawaii, Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee and Panama Geisha coffee - click here to order today, we offer free worldwide shipping!